Some good follow-up thoughts by Marco Arment on my thoughts about Nintendo.
Arment is of course right that Nintendo wants to remain in the hardware business because when things are going well, it’s a much better business to be in. But things aren’t going well. And I’m not sure they ever will again for Nintendo, sadly. As Arment notes, the Wii turned out to be a fad.
The Wii U is just a very strange product. Nintendo’s can’t compete with Microsoft and Sony on high-end gaming hardware. And they can’t compete with Apple on touchscreen-based gaming. So they seemingly did a half-assed job on both.
While the Wii was a fad, it worked very well for a time because it was different. It forced the competitors to come to them. Nintendo no longer had to chase down the big guys in battles they couldn’t win (see: above). That’s the only way Nintendo stays alive. They need to truly innovate in videogame hardware.
Like Arment, I’m worried that instead they’ll go down the Sega road and just pump out cheap versions of their great old franchises to anyone who will take them. That’s why I’d love to see Apple step in and buy Nintendo, and let them operate as the independent iOS gaming wing of the company. If Apple wants to move hardware, it’s hard to imagine a better way than having exclusives on all of the Nintendo titles going forward (as well as the back catalog).
It should be like Pixar within Disney. Remember, Pixar started out trying to make hardware as well.
Apple sollte Nintendo kaufen. Coole Vorstellung, eigentlich.
- sioux-me reblogged this from parislemon and added:
- pyramidslayer reblogged this from averyterrible and added:
- averyterrible reblogged this from supercargautier and added:
- supercargautier reblogged this from thatdarnwaffleopolis and added:
- thatdarnwaffleopolis reblogged this from parislemon and added:
- rplusdc likes this
- heartshapedspatula likes this
- thepandabaker reblogged this from parislemon
- srikard likes this
- richiety reblogged this from parislemon
- esponga-b0b-squarepants likes this
- lamarjosh likes this
- tpsreportshow reblogged this from parislemon
- qukici likes this
- peelman reblogged this from parislemon and added:
- ledebugger reblogged this from parislemon and added:
- tdhftw likes this
- drkraven03 likes this
- gamerjunk reblogged this from parislemon and added:
- artaxerxes likes this
- williac likes this
- perdidoenestemundo likes this
- ebookporn reblogged this from parislemon and added:
- giantsapple-macking likes this
- tekniklr likes this
- jlweyenberg likes this
- photomic likes this
- spires reblogged this from parislemon
- transparentcommunity likes this
- tarngerine likes this
- vinnycoyne reblogged this from parislemon
- mrthursday reblogged this from parislemon and added:
- darnellclayton likes this
- taqumi likes this
- kevinkrautle reblogged this from parislemon
- kamranmackey likes this
- petervidani likes this
- torontojack likes this
- maxyoder likes this
- digithoughts likes this
- This was featured in #Tech
- indigital reblogged this from parislemon and added:
- andrewnonumbers likes this
- martinschmidler reblogged this from parislemon and added:
- martinschmidler likes this
- beardedninjas likes this
- techbullshit reblogged this from parislemon and added:
- ianbroyles likes this
- propertyofzack likes this
- tylr likes this